In ancient times, in a place north west of Druskininkai, spring water ice pieces and powerful flows of water collected into one place lots of clean sand. The Nemunas River hosted this- place and it remained here for ever as an Island, half a hectare in size.
Stories have been told so far that about one hundred years ago, the young people from Druskininkai used to spend time on the Island throughout long summer nights. They used to burn bonfires, dance and sing. At midnight, girls moved to one shore, boys – to the other. All sent wreaths down the stream with burning candles and names of the owners. At the end of the Island, the wreaths sent by young men and young girls met and were pulled out by the observers sitting in the boats, who pronounced "happy couples".
According to legends, Love Island, slightly reminding of a boat, obtained its name after a couple of young lovers drowned here. While on the Nemunas River, the young girl saw her old wreath sent along the river some time ago. The wreath was grown down into the sand and blossoming with flowers. This was the proof of her lover’s true love. Happy lovers hugged each other and, unfortunately, the boat ended up upside down.
In the interwar period, there was a bridge built and a steam ship used to carry visitors to the Island to enjoy beaches. Undoubtedly, it used to be a real paradise for holiday makers. In 1920, after Vilnius region and Druskininkai became occupied by the Polish Army, the Island was divided into two parts – one for Lithuanians and the other for Poles. At the middle of the Island, a barbed fence was installed.
Since 1961, no entertainment has been permitted on the Island. Love Island has been officially pronounced a botanic reserve by the Government.